Friday, August 14, 2015

a little re-introduction

Well, hello there!

This blog is now back up & running after a little hiatus since 2012.

I've asked a few people what they would like to see on here at the moment as I'm getting ready to head back to Rwanda, and it seems I owe a bit of detail about what I'm doing, the work, how I got to be here, etc. Part of that answer requires a bit of transparency, which this blog has always had. So here goes:

I was in Rwanda in 2011 for a few months. The plans I had for that trip ended up not coming to fruition and it became a challenging time for me in terms of understanding what to do next, and what
"God's will" means. In all of those tough questions and decisions, I always held onto the hope and prayer that maybe one day, I would get to go back to Rwanda and "try again" and redeem something that felt like a personal failure.


Fast forward to 2014/2015: I moved back to Australia, started working, living with my parents until I was a little more grounded and stable, and met some really great friends. Unfortunately, the job I got did not work out. Without going into too much detail (for the sake of integrity and professionalism) the work environment was not a healthy one for me to be in. So I found myself kind of "floating", looking for more work, but feeling very burnt out from the nature of working in the foster care system without good professional support, and honestly feeling pretty relived to be out of that job, but also pretty defeated and extremely drained by the whole experience.

I was at home doing a bunch of nothing one day, when a friend whom I had met in Rwanda in 2011 contacted me: "So if I were to tell you there is a new ministry starting to help women get out of sex work.. would that pique your interest?", she said. Now if you know me at all, you know that this most definitely piqued my interest! I was in India in 2012 working with women rescued from trafficking, and in my adult years have become passionate about women's issues, and if you add in the "I don't have a full-time job, house/mortgage, or husband/family", etc.. all the pieces just seems to fit. It seems that God has given me the opportunity to redeem that trip from back on 2011 that was so challenging and confusing - and that's just the selfish part of the whole thing! Then there's the part where I get to come alongside other people and work together to help these women achieve the goals and outcomes they are going to set for themselves to find employment and financial stability for their families without prostitution.

If you were to read back to the very beginning of this blog, you would see that working for the good of others has been something I have dedicated my life to. I got my degree in Social Work because I want a career that focuses on working alongside others to better their lives and situations. And so, regardless of all the little things and circumstances that fell into place, this is the kind of thing that I want my life to be about: to be a part of seeing change in the lives of people who want or need to see change.

There are many tangents I could go on in this post alone, but I have a feeling those things will start to come out as time goes along and as I write more. So I'll leave it at that for now.

As always, please feel free to ask questions - if there's more information you want or suggestions for what to write about, please do not hesitate to contact me!

I genuinely thank you for reading this.

Much love.

Bronte

(To donate to my living expenses click here)

(To donate to the funding for the program - Duhugurane/DuHope - click here!)



No comments:

Post a Comment