Thursday, September 3, 2015

one week in Kigali!

I have been in Rwanda for one week and 3 hours. So I felt I owed you all an update.

Things here are going well (for those who read my blog last time around you will know the first few days/weeks were brutal, so this is BIG!) Coming back to a place I am familiar with, and being surrounded by familiar faces makes a huge difference.

I figured I would wait a little longer to tell you the details of my work, as it is still all unfolding a bit. Instead, I thought I would try to answer the "What is it like there?" question that I have been asked quite a bit. It is impossible to completely and accurately describe a place without you being able to see it and experience it yourself, but I will try!

Kigali is a juxtaposition of both modern day luxury and the more "simple" things in life. There are restaurants, hotels, spas/salons, a golf course, huge mansions, and expensive cars. But at the same time, our power goes out usually once per day, our water sometimes stops running, and many of the roads are red clay/dirt. There are also families who live in homes which are made of mud bricks and do not have running water. There is so much contrast.

Kigali is quite safe, however there are issues with theft. Most homes are surrounded by walls with a locked gate at the front, some with guards employed to keep the property protected. We have a guard at our home who is a lovely man and also helps out around the property doing maintenance.

We also employ a lovely lady who helps to take care of our home a few days a week with cleaning and some cooking. This is a strange concept to those of us who grew up in the West, but in Rwanda it is expected that those who have the means to do so, hire domestic workers in their home as a way to create jobs and income for people.

In terms of food, we have access to most things. There are many restaurants here in Kigali, as well as a market and supermarkets. We eat well and so I am grateful for the exercise class my friend runs..

For transportation, sometimes we drive in my housemates car (I even had a turn of driving today and didn't get in a crash so yay!). Traffic in Kigali is crazy and road rules are "loose", shall we say. If not driving, I take a moto - which is when you flag down a guy on a motorbike and hop on the back and pay him to take you to where you need to go. It is good fun :)

That's about all I can think of right now, but PLEASE feel free to ask questions and give me suggestions on what you might like to see on this blog. Last time around I feel that maybe I used it more for my own coping mechanism, but this time I feel like it will be used more to communicate with all of you lovely supporters and friends - so please be in touch with me about what you would like to read!

Thanks!

Bronte

2 comments:

  1. Nice to hear beautiful! Sounds like its been a good settling in period so far. :) I enjoy whatever you choose to share, but if i think of any questions i will ask. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked reading your post. I think we sometimes forget that there is another part of the world that does exist. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete