Thursday, August 11, 2011

WHY.

So I definitely should be sleeping, alas, I am in the mood to write this.

So as an update, first and foremost: my visa application is on it's way to Delaware to be united with all the other documents required for my application to be formally submitted. I'm hoping to get a multi-entry visa in case I want to pop over the border into Uganda, or some other neighbouring country. But at the moment, I'm just anxious for everything to be approved so I can move forward with booking my flights.

I was able to skype with Donna and some of the kids the other night and also morning!! Gosh - I already am filled with such joy. I can't wait to actually meet them. Their first question for me was "Do you like football?", followed by "Will you play football with us?" They were thrilled to hear I am a Chelsea fan, and proceeded to ask me only about which Chelsea players I like :) They also asked when I was coming and when I was leaving - it makes me feel good to know they are already anticipating my arrival :)

As far as India goes, I have not heard anything back yet - I'm being optimistic and taking this as a good sign - that perhaps they are looking into it and seeing what can be done about the time period..

Ok. Moving on.. another question posed by a friend that I decided would be appropriate to answer here for all to read..

"What made you want to go?"

HA. Probably a question I SHOULD have an immediate answer to. It took me aback because I really felt like I had to think about it.. I don't know that there is an easy answer. It's cliche, but it's true, that this is something I've been wanting to do since I was a kid - I can't remember a time that I didn't want to go to Africa/travel. But obviously this is much more than just some childhood dream. I'm the kind of person that can't just hear something sad, and feel something, and then move on in my life. When I feel something, I need to act upon it in some way. (This of course has it's limitations in that I am not able to act upon EVERYTHING that sparks emotion..) I am not comfortable, or happy, or purposeful, or passionate just sitting still and watching a world go on around me that is suffering. I know that I cannot fix the world, or a country, a state, a city - heck I can't even "fix" one person.. but I can stand by them and empower them to move forward in some way. Perhaps not even that, perhaps they will never find relief from suffering, but if I can just show them an ounce of love and compassion, then my purpose as a human being, and as a proudly-confessing Christ-follower, has been fulfilled. I suppose my motivation comes from a desire to prove evil wrong: I don't want people to continue to live their lives thinking that there is only pain and suffering in this life. I want them to know that there are people who care, that there is hope, that there can be peace in the midst of evil. If I could be the one to bring that message to them, I would feel that my life has reached what it should be, and would be TRULY honoured. Ultimately, I would hope they could see that this peace and hope and love all does come from Christ, but even if they don't, I would be happy to know they had relief from doubt, sadness, and hopelessness.

So. There you have it - why I do what I do. In a very brief nutshell..

To all the pray-ers out there, would it be ok if I compiled a little list for you? :)

- For my India application to be approved for January
- For my Rwandan visa to be processed, and processed QUICKLY
- For finances - this is a trip that my parents and I decided we would fund ourselves, however, the cost is very high. Although I am not asking people directly for support (through formal support letters, etc), I am not too proud or naive to know that God does provide, and that His provision often comes through others. So, prayer for financial provisions (feel free to contact me if you are interested in donating :) )
- Safety while I am there. Although I am not placing myself in any direct danger, traveling always has risks, especially being a female in a foreign country.

THANKS. I appreciate if you made it to the end of this horridly long post... :)

-Bronte.

3 comments:

  1. This post made me think of this quote:

    “Love is not a feeling. Love is an action, an activity. . .Genuine love implies commitment and the exercise of wisdom. . . . love as the will to extend oneself for the purpose of nurturing one's own or another's spiritual growth.....true love is an act of will that often transcends ephemeral feelings of love or cathexis, it is correct to say, 'Love is as love does'.” (thanks google)

    Your reasons for going are humbling, and a good example of the above quote in practice!Its Jesus love ;)

    Peace!

    ReplyDelete