Saturday, September 24, 2011

arrival in Rwanda.

Well, I’m here! After a 13 hour plane ride to Ethiopia (the layover was very overwhelming being that it was the beginning of being in an overseas/non-English speaking country), then a 2 hour flight to Uganda, then a 33 minute… yes 33 minute flight to Rwanda. I was greeted by a man holding a sign “BRONTE. New Hope Homes” – I’ve always wanted to be one of those people ;)

We headed to the home – I am staying in a home with a few other bedrooms, and a living room, and one of the “Aunties” will also be coming to sleep here so I am not all alone. Although Rwanda is assumed to be a very safe place (especially compared to other African countries) all the houses are fenced/gated in – we have a door man who locks and unlocks the door for us. So I feel very safe here, although it is still intimidating walking around because I stick out like a sore thumb..

I took a little while to unpack some of my stuff and get situated AKA take a nap because of my jet lag/sleep deprivation. I was then awoken by Christine, one of the “Aunties”. I think that I will stay close to Christine, as she seems to understand/speak English the best of everyone… but that doesn’t mean she speaks much.. at all! But she is a very sweet girl and we bonded almost instantly – we were walking along literally arm in arm laughing only 10 minutes after we’d met. She took me down to the home where the kids live – it’s a 5 minute walk, if not shorter. At first the kids just stared at me. Quietly. It was not what I expected since I had heard how lively they were. Then one or two was brave enough to venture over.. which turned into playing with my hair and poking at my piercings! They were totally mesmerized by my earrings – something I assumed they’d be familiar with! Eventually I was surrounded by kids – two on my lap, two next to me, one on my back. Most of them with their hands in my hair, or *almost up my nose inspecting my nose ring ;)

It’s really tough knowing that we can’t communicate through words, so really all we have is laughter and facial expressions. But let me tell you… these kids faces.. are STUNNING. So mischievous too! I really wish I could understand their words so that I could figure out their personalities even more than what their facial expressions tell me.

The “Aunties” got out one of the Kinyarwanda translation books so we were able to communicate a few small questions, but nothing substantial yet. I’m hoping that I’ll get to pick up some of the language, although reading it and hearing it are two different things..

I am now back at the house, I am still very worn out from a long day of travelling and jet lag. I am about to attempt my first non-shower bathing ritual.. This could be fun.. I’ll have to upload a photo sometime of my little contraption. I also realised after returning, that I did not bring a hairbrush – this may prove problematic if the kids continue to be so engrossed in my hair ;)

Overall, I’m still anxious – still not settled in, as it’s been less than 12 hours, but Chantal comes tomorrow – she’s the one who started New Hope Homes and she speaks English, so that will be a little piece of relief.

Thanks again for everyone’s prayers. Keep ‘em coming – I’m still pretty emotional just due to the adjustment piece of everything. I just need to get in the swing of things and understand my role here and I’ll be good, but until that happens it’s all a bit oveewhelming.

Love you all,

- Bronte.

1 comment: