Sunday, September 25, 2011

first day in Kigali.

Well, my first full day in Rwanda is almost over. Things are pretty difficult at the moment – the combination of flying (I tend to get airsick a bit), jet lag, and adjusting to very new surroundings have left me quite nauseated. I did not sleep well because of again – jet lag and a lot of emotions. I have been feeling quite sick all day and have barely been able to eat, which isn’t good because the Aunties LOVE to feed me more food than I can even fit in my stomach!

Aside from that, I had a good day. It started with visiting the kids (who are still fascinated by my hair and earrings), and they are learning my name now, instead of just calling me “muzungu” – white person in Kinyawranda (it is not meant as an offensive term). I then went to to Rwandan church! It was a lot of fun – a lot of upbeat music, dancing, and lots of happy people! Someone was so kind enough to sit a lady next to me who could translate for me, which was very helpful, because a lot of things shared will be very helpful for the feelings and thoughts I have been going through. I wish it was a quick fix and I could take it all in and feel better, but I am still very anxious about my place here – knowing when to be where and what to do is very difficult when you cannot communicate with those in charge. Once the older kids come home in about a month, they will be able to translate, so for now I will have to struggle on.

After church, Abby, who is an American woman who moved over here after volunteering with New Hope a few times, came to see me. It was so nice to have someone to speak English with, and it also allowed me to vent a little and opened up a lot of emotions. So, it was nice to let some of that out and have someone understand where I am. She is so nice and has offered for me to hang out with her and her friends (also English speakers), and even sleep at her house if there are times I need to just get away. This will come in handy, I am sure. She also showed me around the neighbourhood, and is taking me into town tomorrow to buy some things (hopefully unlimited internet!) I also have a Rwandan phone now so I can communicate both with her and with Chantal (Mrs. Mbanda who started New Hope).

So, right now, times are hard. Adjusting is not my strongest characteristic, so this time is very challenging. I hope that soon I will stop feeling sick, will be able to sleep, and will be a lot happier.

Please keep praying for me through this hard time – I appreciate it greatly.

-Bronte.

1 comment:

  1. Love you baby - glad God has provided someone you can communicate with a bit in English. Try to focus on the positives!!! <3

    ReplyDelete