Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Jonah.

T-9 days. woah.

Where did the time go?? One minute I'm thinking about doing some traveling, the next I'm boarding a plane to Rwanda in 9 days..

This brings a lot of feelings with it, as you might imagine. I'm excited, don't get me wrong, but I think the excitement will really kick in once I'm actually there and can physically SEE it. Right now, I'm pretty anxious. I still have a lot to do (small things, but still things, nonetheless), a lot to pack, buy, organise, etc etc.. Luckily I have really helpful parents who are helping to get things all ready.

I guess, I feel a bit like Jonah. For those of you who are not familiar with the Bible story, Jonah is told by God to go to the city of Ninevah and tell them about Him.. Jonah decides he is too scared to do that, and instead gets on the wrong boat and goes somewhere else.. now in Jonah's case, there's a huge storm, and he ends up getting thrown overboard as a "sacrifice" of sorts, and swallowed by a giant fish.. for those of you who know me, you know I am QUITE terrified of fish.. So I'm not going to be a Jonah.. I'm not going to run away from what I believe God wants me to do, but in saying that I feel like Jonah, I mean that I understand his fear and hesitancy in traveling a huge distance to a land where nothing is comfortable or familiar.

Being in a place with a language barrier is going to be quite new for me, so that's causing some anxiety. New foods, new customs, new people - it's all going to be a HUGE adjustment when I first arrive, and adjusting is something that I have often been uncomfortable with.

So, once again, for those of you who believe in the power of prayer:

- peace as I prepare to leave and also for everything to soon be completed so I can feel a little more relaxed
- peace and quick adjusting when I do arrive (in 10 more days!)
- relationships to be quickly made regardless of the language barrier
- financial resources - I did not write support letters or anything for this trip, and although I have been able to contribute to the cost of my trip, a lot is still falling on my parents. (let me know if you are interested in making a donation!)
- safety as I travel (I will be flying from DC to Ethiopia - a 13 hour flight, then a 2 hour flight from Ethiopia to Rwanda)

Thank you all so much

-Bronte.

3 comments:

  1. So proud of your obedience to God's call on your life. You inspire me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks meggie <3 i love you so much, thank you for being so encouraging and supportive all the time

    ReplyDelete