Tuesday, October 4, 2011

chickens and bagels.

I’m starting to get to know Rwanda a little better, while also getting plugged into a nice group of other young westerners (although I am discovering I think I must be the youngest person here!) to fend off any possible feelings of loneliness.

This Saturday I experienced my first Saturday morning at African Bagel Company (you can read more about them HERE). Saturday mornings are commonly known as “donuts” – “are you going to donuts tomorrow?” It is very popular for many westerners – young singles and families with kids. So it was nice to have a little bit of time to get to meet a few more people – oh and the bagel was pretty up to par too!

Sunday I went to Christ’s Church Rwanda. It is pastored by an American, so the service is in English, however I’d say 60some percent of the congregation were Rwandans, Ugandans, Kenyans, etc. It was nice to be in a service where I knew some of the songs, and I didn’t have to distract a poor Rwandan to translate for me! After that, I went out to “Mr. Chips” – another popular place for muzungus – with about 12-15 people, which was nice to get to meet even MORE people. Mr. Chips is from the States, and this restaurant is his attempt at bringing a burger joint to Africa.

Yesterday I was able to volunteer at the international school, and also got to connect briefly with an Australian family – I am hoping to maintain some contact with them as their work sounds really interesting.. and they are from Australia so obviously they’re great people ;)

Things are a bit slow at the children’s home with me not being able to communicate much with the kids, so I am looking into some other organisations and groups I can lend some of my time to. I would appreciate prayer in this – that I can find people to connect to and that I may actually be of service to them. I am not looking to be a guest, or to have “an experience” – I truly want to HELP people in some way.

Today, our live chicken was delivered……. I came outside and saw his little feet tied up as he laid helpless in the courtyard.. I then went on my way to free yoga class at the US embassy! It was strange to be in there, as everything looks just like America.. the lights, the door handles, the carpet – the little things that you don’t take notice of until you’re in another country. The yoga class was great – I definitely think I’ll be making it a regular activity. It’s definitely good for my physical health (gotta work off all these potatoes they keep feeding me!), but it’s also really good for my mental/emotional health – I came out feeling more relaxed and energetic. So I am grateful for that. I left the embassy, and was immediately re-surrounded by Africa – a trip back home on the moto. I am completely comfortable with this part of life in Rwanda now. I’m even down to “Look mum! No hands”-riding sometimes ;) I think I’m going to have to start saving up for a motorcycle when I get back to the States…

Alas, when I got home, Emmanuel (our guard) showed me where my chicken friend had gone – he was in the freezer, plucked and all.. He was pretty amused at my reaction to this, and I tried to explain to him that in America, our chicken is already DEAD when we bring it home ;) He continued to repeat something about “chicken DIE” in broken English..

Anyway, overall, I feel more comfortable with my surroundings now, it’s just a matter of figuring out my schedule and which things I can get involved with. All prayer is appreciated please! Please please please!

Thanks, as always,

-Bronte.

No comments:

Post a Comment