Saturday, October 8, 2011

end of rwanda: chapter 1

today was my last (full) day with the kids. it was a really nice last night. the kids had a lot of great energy when i got there and we did some of their favourite song/dance/games. we practiced a little bit of english while we tried to communicate some things to each other, which took a lot of time, and i *think they got what i was saying, but either way it's good for them to try to communicate in english so they can continue to learn. it makes me sad to know i won't be seeing them every day anymore, but i have been in communication with those in charge about getting to visit every so often, which will be really nice. they're real gems, and i look forward to when i will see them again.

today i also went into town to sort out some errands in preparation for me moving into my new house tomorrow. it's crazy to think that two weeks ago today, i was a nauseated emotional wreck, and today i am able to get a moto, all by myself, into town, to get things done. i owe it to abby, who taught me everything i know, but it's really nice to not feel so lost and alone, and to feel i have the ability to do things for myself now too.

today also marked my first africa-sunburn. realised i forgot to bring sunscreen...whoops!

the wet season has officially started.. hurricane irene has some competition in the rain department.. the rain is intense. things can get pretty muddy around here. tonight was one of the clearest nights since i've been here (or at least the first night i actually thought to stop and look UP), Kigali is a pretty large city, but there's still so much less light pollution than in the States - I've never seen the moon so bright, and seeing the stars was really nice. i still haven't been able to locate the Southern Cross though.

anyway,

continued prayers for my "work" situation are appreciated.

thanks as always for reading

-Bronte.


3 comments:

  1. You forgot to bring sunscreen to AFRICA??? Oh I love you. Hahahah

    ReplyDelete
  2. come on... this is the same person who wears 8 spf for a day on the beach... lol

    ReplyDelete