Friday, October 14, 2011

muddy season!

Things are good here in Rwanda. Things are RAINY here in Rwanda, but good. The wet season has started. And let me tell you, it is appropriately named, although “muddy season” would also be quite fitting..

I am happily moved into my new house. And I love it here. The house is comfortable – I mean I was actually beginning to really like my bucket showers, and not that I actually ENJOYED the action of having to pour buckets of water over myself, but it just made me reflect on how much water we waste even showering in the Western World.. when trust me, it could be done with just a couple of small buckets! (ok I probably maybe wasn’t quite as clean… but you get my point..) I still don’t have a “shower” per se, but a bath tub and warm running water..running water! The idea of flushing a toilet had become so foreign to me! And having a mirror.. it was strange to see myself again after two weeks! It’s funny how we always think about things like TVs and phones and electronics as the luxuries that we have, and other people do not, when really it’s simple things like running water and bright electricity and mirrors that now seem so luxurious to me! Oh how spoiled we are in the Western World..

I had also been struggling with the fact that I had people serving me so well at the children’s home – and I know and accept that this is a huge cultural thing, but it was difficult for me to feel like a servant when I had people bringing me food, washing my clothes, making my bed, washing my clothes, etc.. Here at the house we do have a cleaning/laundry lady, but I feel that now that my “work” and home life are separated that I don’t feel so uncomfortable about it. And it was also explained to me that it’s almost expected of “well-off” people to have house help because it as seen as supporting the country because it provides employment. And my housemates have also been able to build a relationship with her – she even came with us this week to visit at an orphanage, which was really cool to get to experience with her. She was so amazing with the kids too, so it was definitely a great time to get to spend together.

My housemates are both so great too. It’s just really nice to have other people around, whereas before I was very lonely as I was the only English-speaker in the home. I feel much more at peace and much stronger being here. I’m extremely happy, and blessed is an understatement. God answered my very earnest prayers in such a loving way.

As far as “work”, I have begun working at YWAM’s (Youth With A Mission) base here in Kigali. They run a Christian school on their base for grades 1-6 for Rwandan kids, but school is taught in English. It’s really interesting how these young people can be so strong in two completely different languages! It’s impressive. They have their exam period coming up, so I am helping the teachers in typing up their exams. They do not have the same experience with typing/computers that I do, haven taken computer classes in school, and worked in various offices (as well as typing countless papers in my 4 years at Eastern..), so it takes much less time for me to do it. Also, the teachers are stretched very thinly: they all work insanely long hours, for very little pay. When I decided to come to Rwanda, I did not envision sitting in an office typing, however, many people at the base have told me that they had been praying heavily for someone to be able to help them with this busy period. So, I’m not doing anything that I’m terribly passionate about – I don’t have “a heart” for typing, but I asked God to allow me to help someone somehow, and that’s what I am doing, and so, I am happy. It is SUCH a huge honour for people to tell me that I am answer to prayers. I’m really happy that I’m able to relieve some stress for these dedicated and hard working people.


I also get to have yet another great group of people to spend time with at the base – I have morning tea and lunch with all of the YWAM staff – many are Rwandan, some Congolese, Ugandan, Dutch, Canadian, English, American.. it’s a really great sense of community. There’s a lot of humour – we all get to laugh together, which is a really great way to break down cultural barriers (most of them speak English well). I am really enjoying my time there. I have been so lucky to meet so many great people here in Rwanda. It makes it much easier to have people to enjoy life with.

I am still looking into learning about/helping out at a few other organisations, so hopefully that happens because there are some things I’m pretty excited about.

I can’t believe it was three weeks ago that I left America. It’s been a complete and total roller coaster, with more downs than ups, it seems. And I look back and wish that I could have been stronger (I had a LOT of weak moments that I wasn’t comfortable sharing on here..). I have so many people cheering me on back home, and who believe in me so strongly, and I only hope that I lived up to their opinions of me. Through all of this, I have had peace that God has not been disappointed in me, but I have been conscious of making everyone at home proud, and proving their opinions to be true. I know that there is no judgement or disappointment from those who love me, I only mean to say that I hope I have acted upon all the qualities they have seen in me and shared with me over the past few months. So I thank you all for your ongoing support and encouragement.

But trust me, God has been humbling me hugely here – I think He has taught me more about what I CANNOT do than what I can. Which is completely ok, because that has required me to look at what He can do. I have had to lean heavily upon his faithfulness and strength; and that’s never a bad thing.

I am also humbled by all the people I have met: people who have packed up completely and moved over here, some with families, some alone. Some who have dedicated a year, or two to some cause. Then there’s the women who work at the children’s home I visited this week. They have a group of pretty severely mentally and physically challenged children, and I know that I would probably lose it being there every day. The patience and hard work they bring to these kids is almost unhuman.. it was hard for me just to see for an hour or two – to see these kids who just never will be able to talk or walk or hear or play.. And not because of any fault of their own, but simply because that’s just how it is. It was really overwhelming to see, and brought up a lot of thoughts and questions, but amongst all of that, these women give hour upon hour to helping these kids be as well taken care of as possible. Don’t be proud of me! Give them all your support and compliments!

Anyway,

I appreciate you reading, as always,

Your continued prayer for the details of my “work” and involvement here are appreciated. Thank you!

Much love,

-Bronte.

2 comments:

  1. lol I love that you hadn't had a mirror. That IS a weird feeling.

    Remember that weakness is ok! Because you have God's strength! Made PERFECT in your weakness :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. one of the many hard, but BEAUTIFUL lessons He is teaching me.

    thanks

    ReplyDelete